Lies in Black & White

Monday 20 February 2012
Do you know what a white lie means? Of course you do! 


We overlook so many of our own secretly traded white lies ,often saying so many white lies to our peers, parents and people in general. Even today I didn't wink an eye while telling a friend I just couldn't come with her for project class coz I had headache!! Lucky she doesn't know I blog here often! She believed!Basically I wanted to blog and since blogging is my fodder to an energized self.I couldn't help but white-lie. ;)


History has it that the term White Lies was coined in the early 18th century when it made its way to The Oxford Dictionary. It made people think it was more kinder than the truth. Because white lie symbolizes innocence ,righteousness,goodness & purity.So calling a lie "white lie" separates it from the darker black lies that deal with cruelty, malice, or hurt.


But the question is,what extent does one go to profess a "white lie" making his loved ones  see everything go smooth? Now take a relationship, how many white lies can he/she make to cover up one single truth? And in a relationship ,as far as I know, the most obvious white lie would be regarding an ex lover or something that has disturbed the gentle rhythmic patterns of the white-lying mind. So he/she  decides to white-lie. But how long can that hold? Like for example,The movie Valentine' Day had that old lady confessing to her husband at a frailing age of 70 or so that she had a minor affair that didn't last long.Now here,that is a white-lie coz women don't know if her man will love her like he always did. It's something that can kill a woman deep down that remains a coveted lie till it all comes melting down a misty confessional.Some people are born lying but when confronted say they are just playing it safe & simple when in reality they are saving their faces. It's not wrong.But my concern is to what extent should one white - lie? 




Yep,I know that's not white-lying at all ,it's plain old DARK LYING!! But Why do people lie to an extent that the other party knows the-guy-opens-his-mouth-and-only-lies-fall-out? I mean what is the line that marks the end of this delusion?  

I have a friend.He loves his parents but because of a few misfortunes in life,which his parents straightened out, he feels so guilty to have gone against his parents initially and now he's stuck with this guilt. And the guilt has corroded him so much that he refuses to even have a casual talk with his parents!!! And he lies. When his mom calls,he mumbles he's at work and can't talk much and at night says he's tired.What is it? Obviously,he' no Obama to be acting all super busy.It's pretty obvious he's taken to lying and wouldn't accept it either. So what is this guy trying to prove out of lying? That he's grateful to his parents? or that they are the reason that drove him to this deleterious state? I just don't get it. 

Hitting the base,why should people lie? I mean normal white-lies are OK,to my knowledge. As far as it is harmless. But lying (dark lying) cannot be accepted. Have people lost touch to being humane? Has the devil kissed their hearts? I despise people who lie.I can probably even stand infidelity but lying- hell NO! You cheated,you went astray,FINE! Tell me the freakin' truth atleast now,man!! Er,infidelity ..(That's makes another spicy post altogether ;) My point is, everything- from infidelity to today's hit list of fraudulent dudes and money hungry political punks who live by extorting ..everyone stem from lying. It's become the order of the day.People have moved from the age old pure lies to lies that are shame-worthy.Something our precious ears ought not to listen and stay away from all the din!


Ciao, all you ,white-liars out there! ;)
Lie and see.

18 comments:

  1. excuse me sir... DONT FORGET YOUR PACK OF LIES... someone said it from my back before i begin my comment :D :P
    Notorious liars and professional liars.. there are many such kind...
    Nicely described with PHOTOS.. loved it

  1. Ya ya,Liars liars pants on fire. Thanks *Deepak!! :)

  1. it ain't possible to go on without lies.. better white than dark! ;)

  1. Yes that's the way *Dreaming Wanderer!! :)

  1. Raj said...:

    A very nice light hearted but at the same time thought provoking post. I loved the sense of humor and jokes sprinkled here and there. And you brought it out wonderfully.. Harmless lies are fine. Sometimes they help to simplify a situation. But when it gets to a point of deceiving someone, we are potentially hurting that person and we will end up hurting them even more when they eventually find out the truth. Very nicely written.

  1. Purvi said...:

    Sometimes lying is definitely justified, but one has to make sure that one is not preparing to ruin any relationship with these lies. Also if a lie is better for the person today but not in the future then such a lie won't fit into the category of white lie

    Very well written Jen :)

  1. Unknown said...:

    very true i dont think we can go ahead with our day to day lives without blurting out a single white lie..i guess et ties lies are less hurtful than the truth...and i dont think ders a single soul in this entire world who hasnt lied in his life..no wonder no one has been able to win the show moment of truth and its indian cousin sach ka saamna..hehehe

  1. Oh did I?! :) Thank you.But Yes *Raj you got me!! Lies were meant to remain just superficial lies and not meant to go down our system this bad!!

    YA that's so true *Purvi!! My friend I mentioned in the above incident lies to his parents so much that now they're not ready to even believe if he voices out some truth now and then! The credibility of the person is lost!! And Thanks :)

  1. LOL! Ya *Alka !! But one should know when to stop when it's going beyond the control of poisoning a relationship right!! :)

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Amazingly written Jen!! You couldn't put things more into perspective. :)

  1. I think white lies can develop into dark lies. Lies are lies! I know people that lie so much they can't forget what is a lie and what is the truth!

    Thanks for stopping by and following my blog today! I am now your newest follower! Hope you have a great day!

    glosews

  1. If it doesn't hurt anyone , maybe its ok to to lie sometimes, we all do!! The key is to keep it plausible!!

    But there's a lovely quote I read sometime back and it has stuck to my mind-

    "Each time you are honest and conduct yourself with honesty, a success force will drive you toward greater success. Each time you lie, even with a little white lie, there are strong forces pushing you toward failure."

    And btw, thanks for the award, I'm honoured!! I'm yet to display it but will do so soon..

  1. If it doesn't hurt anyone , maybe its ok to to lie sometimes, we all do!!

    But there's a lovely quote I read sometime back and it has stuck to my mind-

    "Each time you are honest and conduct yourself with honesty, a success force will drive you toward greater success. Each time you lie, even with a little white lie, there are strong forces pushing you toward failure."

    And btw, thanks for the award, I'm honoured!! I'm yet to display it but will do so soon..

  1. very well said and with that touch of humor so distinctive of your writing. nobody is 100 truthful at all times with all the people - the sathyaharishchandra types but i too dont see why some people lie. The "dark lie" (i liked the sound of this one) is something i hate but find it equally hard to detect it in anyone :( and all the hide-n-seek kills me. just say the real thing and get the hell out is how i look at it

    good topic and nicely written

    pack of lies - :DDD

  1. vinay said...:

    Lies are needed sometimes. :P
    The pics perfectly suited your writing.
    Good work. :)

  1. *Glo!!! SO sweet of you to have come here ,commented and followed me too!! :) Yes,agree.Lies are lies!! Sadly :|

    Yes,I've heard that too *Little Princess. Lying only sometimes is okay maybe not to the extent of living those lies ..it results are huge disasters!!

    Just thought you deserved that!! :) Hope you are celebrating!! :)

  1. Yea.*Sujatha!! :) We are exactly on the same plane of understanding.
    Just blurt out the truth and get away with it.Forgiven & Forgotten :D I just HATE those hide & seek games some people play as well.So cheap and whatever :)

    Thanks for coming by *Vinay but lies can sure not be the way of life!!! :)And feel free to stick around here more often!:)

  1. *Kevin!!! Thanks for being patient enough to read all this.I know how much you dislike reading :P

 
Twitter Bird Gadget